Meet the finalists

All Finalists2020 Winners

Kirk Raine

Barratt Homes and David Wilson Homes

Scoring ‘outstanding’ on a prodigious 96% of its construction quality review ratings, Kirk Raine has taken his mantlepiece-challenging trophy tally to 21 NHBC awards with this project. He ran the brownfield site with technical skill, overcoming the substantial challenges that emerged in the ground. He was quick to deal with the unforeseen challenges as they arose, finding solutions that had minimal disruption on the construction programme and the project budget.

About the Project

Doseley Park, Telford

Phase 1 construction of 192 homes.

Value: £83m

Kirk Raine’s work on this project to build 192 homes could scarcely be bettered. With the development scoring ‘outstanding’ on a prodigious 96% of its construction quality review ratings, and ‘very good’ on the remaining 4%, Kirk has taken his mantlepiece-challenging trophy tally to date to 21 NHBC quality awards.

His passion for quality – daily checks and constant conversations with the contractors, surveyors and technical team – is combined with a powerful ability to lead the team. Having started out as a bricklayer himself, Kirk understands the needs of the site team and connects with them individually.

He ran this site with technical skill and a focus on quality workmanship and customer service. Given that the site was an old cement works, the challenges in the ground required all his construction smarts.

A nearby former quarry and varying site levels impacted the build significantly. The ground engineering initially failed, with all the old material having to be dug out and new material laid down to create compacted layers. With the original retaining walls proving too low to accommodate the reality of the build, Kirk had to amend the design to progress the works. The foul and storm water sewage infrastructure likewise had to be re-engineered. Kirk was quick to adapt and tackle all the challenges as they arose, with minimal disruption to the construction programme or project budget.